Video Comparison Study: Youth Response to Four Vegetarian/Vegan Outreach Videos
We tested the effectiveness of four vegetarian/vegan outreach videos among a random sample of U.S. respondents aged 15-23. Overall there were few differences between videos in terms of the respondents’ willingness to reduce or eliminate meat, eggs, or dairy. Regardless of the video watched, an average of 28% of respondents indicated a willingness to reduce at least one animal product in the future and an average of 8% indicated willingness to completely eliminate at least one animal product from their diet.
Summary of Findings:
- More than 500 respondents aged 15-23 viewed one of four videos and provided their feedback. The videos were approximately four minutes in length and included a segment from Farm to Fridge (Mercy for Animals), a segment from A Life Connected (Nonviolence United), a segment from Geico Couple (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine), and Maxine’s Dash for Freedom (Farm Sanctuary).
- All of the four videos included in this study are at least somewhat effective in getting viewers to consider dietary changes. This suggests that the ability to hold an audience’s attention (in this case with a financial incentive) may be as or more important than the specific tone or message of the video. On average, 29% of viewers report considering a reduction of animal products, while 8% report considering eliminating animal products entirely.
- Of the four videos, the Farm to Fridge segment appears to be somewhat more effective. Although the video had a 10% lower engagement rate (i.e., more people who drop out of the video before it is completed) than the other videos, on average, it was the most likely of all four videos to lead to consideration of dietary change. However, the difference was only statistically significant for eggs and dairy products, not for meat products.
- At least half of viewers reported learning something new from the video they watched. This proportion was highest for Farm to Fridge and A Life Connected (62%) and somewhat lower for the other two videos, Maxine’s Dash and the Geico Couple video (53-54%).
- On average, 30% of viewers said they would like more information about vegetarian/vegan foods. This was highest for Farm to Fridge (36%) and the Geico Couple video (34%), but lower for Maxine’s Dash (27%) and A Life Connected (25%).