Faunalytics Answers Your Questions: Introducing “Ask Us”
For almost 20 years, Faunalytics has been the research arm of the animal advocacy movement. We hope that you turn to us when you’re looking for a statistic, the best way to tackle an advocacy problem, or advice about research!
We strive to empower advocates by giving you the information, tools, and skills you need to put research to work for you. We want to help you help animals, and in 2019, we’re stepping up our game!
Ask A Librarian!
Karol is Faunalytics’ Content Director. With a deep knowledge of Faunalytics’ Research Library, he is the resident expert on finding existing research on a given advocacy topic.
Great questions to ask Karol:
- What are some good resources in the Faunalytics Library on topic X?
- What are some further areas I should explore related to topic X?
- Is there older research I should consider?
- My search has come up empty so far. Where else can I look?
Karol’s office hour will be:
Tuesday 12pm – 1pm Eastern time
Max time per person: 30 minutes
Ask A Researcher!
Jo is Faunalytics’ Research Director. With over a decade of experience in research methods and applied statistics, she is the resident expert on the how and why of research.
Great questions to ask Jo:
- How can I test whether my group’s approach is effective?
- Why don’t we have better data about the number of vegans in the U.S.?
- What’s so great about randomized controlled trials (RCTs) anyway?
- How should I analyze my data?
Jo’s office hour will be:
Wednesday 12pm – 1pm Eastern time
Max time per person: 30 minutes
How It Works
Talking To Us
During their office hours (in bold above), Jo and Karol will be online. You can find them on Google Hangouts using their Faunalytics email addresses: It’s just their first name (jo or karol) @faunalytics.org. During scheduled office hours, please send a quick text to see if they are available or already talking to someone else.
If your question is very straightforward, they might answer it in text format. But typically, it’s faster and clearer to have a short conversation, so please be prepared with a microphone or headset.
If you’d like to attend a virtual office hour but…
- You don’t have access to Hangouts: Send an email to whichever of us you’d like to speak to and we can use Skype, Slack, or even phone instead.
- You can’t attend at the scheduled time: Send an email to whichever of us you’d like to speak to and we’ll do our best to accommodate you at another time within our usual working hours.
- You don’t know who to send your question to: As a general rule of thumb, if your question is about existing research that wasn’t conducted by Faunalytics, you want Ask a Librarian. If your question is about why or how to do research or analyze data, or you want to ask about the details of one of Faunalytics’ original studies, go for Ask a Researcher. If you’re still not sure, just pick one of us at random and we’ll sort it out!
We’re going to try out this ad hoc system for a while and see how it goes. If there is a lot of interest in these office hours, we may introduce a booking system at a later date to streamline the process.
If you attended the Animal Rights Conference this past summer in LA, maybe you were one of the many awesome advocates who approached our table and chatted with our team. If so, thanks! Talking to all those great people and answering questions about research was what gave us the idea of introducing these office hours. We want to connect one-on-one with motivated advocates, to make sure that you get what you need from Faunalytics to be effective.
We hope that you’re as excited about this as we are – we can’t wait to talk to you!