A Survey of Animal Control Centers and The Unwanted Horse
This survey of 94 “animal control centers” identified the resources that are available to care for unwanted horses in different geographic areas. Among the centers surveyed, 83% of shelters cannot house or care for horse, while the remaining 17% can only care for a limited number.
- 72% were considered the primary animal control facility in the county.
- 78% house and care for dogs/cats, while 17% house and care for horses.
- 17% could care for 10 or fewer horses.
- Over the last 6 months, 6% had to turn away 11-20 horses due to budget.
- The average cost to keep a horse at a facility is $16.75/day, $502/month of $6,114/year.
- Over the last year, 23% have experienced an increase in the number of calls related to abandoned or neglected horses.
- 6% of staffs are “well trained” to care for horses.
- 53% say there are no rescue facilities for horses in the area.
- Of those who removed horses from their facility, 28% said they could successfully place a horse at a retirement, sanctuary, or rescue facility.
- 7% have funds appropriated for future expansion to care for horses.
- In order to accommodate more horses, 40% would need $100,000 or more.
- 57% have an established relationship with a local equine veterinarian, while 43% do not.