Top 10 Trends In Functional Foods
This Sloan Trends and Solutions Report identifies the Top 10 food trends in the nation based on Food Marketing Institute data which shows that 69% of Americans use foods preventively, while 27% use foods to treat a preexisting health condition.
The top 10 food trends identified include:
- Healthy households – Consumers are making efforts to eat healthier.
- Superfoods – Consumer demand has increased for food items with health benefits.
- Light, satisfying foods – More attention to weight loss, through smaller portions, low fat foods, etc.
- Boomer food – As 31 million Americans turn age 65 over the next few years, demand for foods to address health issues will become more prevalent.
- Health Conscious Choices – Consumers who are more focused on preventative foods are making purchases of vitamin & mineral enriched foods.
- Green Living – Consumers are choosing a more simple, natural approach to eating.
- Smart Snacking – Low calories snacks are gaining in popularity.
- Food Allergies – The number or consumers who perceive that they or family members have allergies is growing, therefore products to address these issues are increasing in demand.
- Fueling a Fast-Paced Life – 55% of adults need something to give them an energy boost, 48% to increase endurance/stamina, 46% to help them wake up, and 40% to keep them awake.
- Grab and Go – Consumers are interested in convenience foods and increased healthy related products.