Majority Of Companion Animal Guardians Would Defy Emergency Evacuation Orders And Stay With Companion Animals
An American Kennel Club survey found that companion animal guardians would overwhelmingly consider their companion animals to be family members, and that if forced to evacuate their home without their companion animal, 62% say they would defy the order and stay with their companion animal.
According to the results of this survey of companion animal guardians:
- 97% would take companion animal in case of an evacuation
- 97% are up to date with vaccinations
- 79% permanently identify their companion animals with microchips or tattoos
- 62% have a family evacuation plan in event of natural disaster
- 61% have a companion animal evacuation plan
- 23% designed an emergency plan for their companion animals after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
- 91% of owners have a copy of their companions vaccination records, 79% have AKC papers, 93% have an extra leash, and 89% have extra dog food on hand
Despite the fact that companion animal guardians overwhelmingly consider their companion animals to be family members, some are not prepared for a disaster:
- Of those who do not have an evacuation plan, 22% say it is because their geographical location isn’t a likely place for terrorism or natural disaster; 52% would like a plan, but didn’t know how to come up with one.
- 76% of respondents have the necessary items for an emergency kit for their companion animals, but their kits are not assembled in a portable package in event of emergency.
- 55% do not have a list of pet-friendly hotels outside their evacuation zone.
Significant findings by region:
- Southeast – 74% have evacuation plans for their companion animals and 29% have an assembled pet disaster kit
- Northeast – 51% have a companion animal evacuation plan
- Midwest – 82% do not have an assembled companion animal disaster kit; although 61% have a companion animal evacuation plan (58% reported having one for their families)
- Southwest – 14% do not have companion animal vaccination records
- Northwest – 30% do not have a companion animal evacuation plan because they say the do not live in a geography likely for terrorist attacks or natural disasters; 74% microchip companion animal; 99% are up to date on vaccinations