Fund Status: CLOSED
Thank you to everyone who submitted applications during the previous round!
What is the Grassroots Fund?
The Faunalytics Grassroots Fund provides free expertise and funding to help small groups and individuals turn their research ideas into results for animals.
What can you apply for? Faunalytics can help you better understand your target audience, evaluate your campaign, or conduct other research to help you save more animals. We’ve already given free support to organizations like:
- ARC Minneapolis, in their consumer survey that helped confirm that the city’s restaurant patrons are firmly against foie gras.
- Cats and Dogs International, with their survey of travelers to gauge importance of helping stray animals in tourist destinations.
- America for Animals, in their research to gauge interest in tools for people wanting to make animal-friendly investments.
- Toronto Pig Save, with their interviews to help build a movement of advocates who bear witness to the suffering of farmed animals.
- Humane Carolina, in their survey of North Carolina residents to understand their attitudes toward compassionate eating.
The Faunalytics Grassroots Fund is made possible by the generosity of private foundations and individual donors. Contributions are used to conduct research projects to help animals by helping advocate be more effective. You can help Faunalytics provide more free research projects with your tax-deductible donation.
To qualify for the Grassroots Fund, applicants must:
- Have a good idea for a unique research project
- Have an annual budget/income of less than $250,000
- Have 2+ years of animal advocacy experience
- Devote substantial time and energy to the project
- Share non-proprietary results with other advocates
Contact Faunalytics if you have any questions about eligibility.
How it Works
After the deadline, the Faunalytics team will review all applications and rate them based on two factors: VALUE likely impact for advocates/animals) and FEASIBILITY (within a $10,000 budget and a one-year timeframe). Only projects that we believe have significant value and are also feasible will be considered.
Our team selects the most promising ideas and conducts an additional round of information-gathering to confirm our understanding of the project(s) and make adjustments as needed. We will choose 1-2 projects per year, on average. Faunalytics may also work with other applicants to help them get support for their projects.
Please note that the $10,000 budget includes both direct funding and “in kind” contributions of Faunalytics staff time. We are making available a minimum of $5,000 of direct funding that can be used for data collection, materials, incentives, and other expenses, plus an additional $5,000 of staff time, at cost (about 200 hours).
How to Apply
The application process is currently closed. The likely timeframe for reopening the process is summer/fall of 2016. Please check back for updates, sign up for our newsletter, or follow us on Facebook for announcements.