Faunalytics Seeks Research Scientist
- Reports to: Research Director
- Status: Full-time
- Hours: 40 hours/week, flexible
- Location: Remote; open to residents of any country
- Rate of pay: USD $42,000 to $50,000 (depends on experience)
- Benefits: Ten (10) days of paid vacation, eight (8) days sick leave, and other benefits
- Deadline: Apply by May 10, 2019
Faunalytics is hiring a Research Scientist! We are a nonprofit research organization dedicated to helping animals by providing useful information to advocates to help them increase their impact. Our work involves conducting original research on topics that are important to advocates, maintaining an extensive animal advocacy research library, and working directly with other nonprofits to evaluate their efforts.
The Research Scientist will work closely with the Research Director in overseeing Faunalytics’ program of independent research, as well as occasional partner projects.
Responsibilities span the entire research process. The successful candidate will oversee research projects from start to finish, with tasks including:
- Assisting in the prioritization of research topics
- Designing rigorous scientific studies
- Overseeing data collection
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative data
- Reporting results for audiences with varied backgrounds
- Presenting results in writing and oral presentations
- Screening and supervising volunteer researchers
- Writing grant applications and research proposals
The successful candidate will demonstrate flawless attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communications skills. From time to time, the Research Scientist may also be asked to assist the organization with non-research tasks. We’re a small team at Faunalytics and we all wear many hats.
Please ensure that it is clear in your application how you meet the following essential qualifications and any of the preferred qualifications below.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher in psychology, sociology, or a related field (PhD preferred)
- 3 or more years of research experience (including graduate training in a research field)
- A demonstrated commitment to animal protection and Faunalytics’ mission
- Experience designing experiments and/or other quantitative research studies
- Experience analyzing quantitative data
- Familiarity with R or SPSS
- Very strong written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines and responsibilities
- Self-driven and able to work remotely with limited oversight
- Ability to work effectively as part of an online team
- Strong computer literacy, including proficiency with Excel and Word
- Proficiency with R
- Experience designing and analyzing qualitative studies
- Experience communicating research findings to a lay audience
- Experience with Qualtrics or other survey programming tools
- Familiarity with the animal protection movement broadly
- Familiarity with Effective Altruism or Effective Animal Advocacy specifically
- Familiarity with communication tools including Slack and Asana
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunities
Faunalytics values diversity and is committed to promoting it within our organization. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of varied socioeconomic backgrounds and national origins to apply for this position.
Faunalytics is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policy is available here.
How to apply:
Please email [email protected] the following:
- Cover letter
- A writing sample
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We sincerely thank all candidates for their time and interest.